Monday, June 13, 2011

Welcome to Santorini!

Anna and I left Athens yesterday afternoon and headed to catch the ferry to Santorini. We arrived at the port no problem. We were semi-confused on where to go from there. The lady told us to get on the bus and go to the end. We did as she told us to. The bus starting moving and people were yelling at the bus driver to stop at different places. This sweet Greek woman could see the look of distress in my eyes I'm sure. She took the paper I was holding and tried to point where for me to go and for me to get off now! Anna and I jumped off the bus and then realized this was totally the wrong place. ALmost immediately a taxi pulled up and the sweetest man helped us, in very broken English and hand motions, and drove us to the correct area. The best 4 Euros spent so far on the trip!
We boarded the ferry and walked upstairs to our air seats. I thought that air seats meant airplane type seats when I booked the ferry online. Oh was I wrong! We got to sit in a very cozy lounge and had our own window and chairs and table to watch the sunset. It was great! We both fit in a little nap during the five hour trip. We arrived in Santorini around 1:00 this morning and were greeted by a cheerful shuttle driver from our hotel. When we got to the hotel, we meet George, the owner. We have been so excited about this man and his hotel. He lead us down to our room. IT IS AMAZING. In Athens we had no air conditioner, a small weird shower, one toilet, bunk beds, and six other people in our room along with a very loud street. I thought it was pretty cool there....then we came to San Georgio. Anna and I have our own room, wifi, a lovely bathroom, a pool right outside our door, really cool windows, and so much peace and quiet. We are in enjoying every minute of it!
This morning we had abother frappe-I love this coffee drink- and then chatted with the reception lady about the island. She was so helpful, we love her! Our morning was spent shopping around Fira. We visited many cute shops and I loved chatting with the locals. For lunch we shared a Greek salad that was to die for and some wine leaves stuffed with rice. I had baklava for dessert and Anna had yogurt with honey and walnuts. Then the waiter brought us lemoncello, yum! The whole meal was fabulous! Aunt Lisa-the Baklava was great, but Greece has nothing on yours, keep up the good work! We spent the rest of the afternoon seeing more shops and enjoying the view. Santorini is known for jewelry. We both found many pieces we would LOVE to have. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!
Oia is another town here on Santorini. It is known for having a great sunset. Anna and I rode the bus to Oia so see for ourselves. We were not disappointed! We stopped at a market and picked up some cheese, crackers, cherries, and wine so we could have a picnic as we watched. It was a super idea! We saw the bright pink sun set down into the bluest water I've ever seen. This is the most beautiful place I have ever been. I cannot describe to you how wonderful it is. I hope to come back many times! The people are incredible, the food is divine, and the views are breathtaking everywhere you look. Westmoreland and Cragon families....Anna and I may never come home! Tomorrow morning donkey rides are the first thing on our list, this will be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment