Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ready, Set, GO!

    Over eight months ago I decided that this was going to be the summer for me to be in Europe. After throwing the idea around for years, I started making the trip a priority. I "Googled" Food Science Study Abroad. The first thing that appeared was a month study in Brussels through Clemson University. Wow, that would be great I thought! I talked with my friend Anna about the program and found out her sister had spent a summer in Brussels through Clemson. She had only great things to say about the programs. From this point Anna decided she wanted to go too!
   We would spend four weeks in Brussels and it would be great. After some talk we then decided that if we were going to pay for airfare we should get at least a few more weeks out of the flight. Greece was on the top of both of our travel bucket list so we used it as a jumping off place for the journey we will begin tomorrow! Anna and I spent many long nights in Auburn discussing ideas, many hours on our computers researching the best of each city, and many days smiling from ear to ear because we are so excited. During a community service project in the spring, I invited my friend Matt to go with us too. I am so glad that he and his friend, our friend now too, Andrew will be joining us for some of the first three weeks of the trip.
   I've been home for a month this summer and it has been wonderful! I managed to fit in a visit to Birmingham, a weekend at Riverview Camp, and a trip to Rosemary Beach. Between traveling, I have been packing and preparing for seven weeks abroad. I have loved being home. Scottsboro is such an amazing little town. I am blessed to have grown up here and to have some many wonderful people in my life. All the warm wishes for a great trip, the lectures about being careful, and the knowledge on international travel will be with me the entire time I promise! Thanks Mom and Dad for ALL your help! I could never have prepared for this trip without you.
   My bag is packed, weighing in at exactly thirty pounds. We shall see what is weighs when I return home with some souvenirs! Everything is ready for a wonderful summer. More updates to come on our journey. After eight months of preparation the day is here. We are all ready, everything that needed to be taken care of before the trip has been set, and tomorrow we will GO!