Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama

   Sunday was our last full day in Brussels. We enjoyed it by sleeping until two in the afternoon. Our plan was to be really well rested when we got home. It was a great plan! It was sunny for the first day in three weeks so we headed to a park and went for an afternoon walk. Then we had one last Belgian meal before packing and heading to bed.
   We woke up early Monday morning. We were so excited about coming home to see our friends and families! The airport bus was great and dropped us off right where we needed to be. We were so early that the check-in counter for our flight was not open yet. We sat on the floor of the airport and waited for about an hour. While waiting, we realized that we could weigh our bags on the scales. Anna's bag was 3 kilos over the weight limit and mine was 3 kilos under. I crammed three pair of Anna's shoes and some of her clothes into my bag. I've never carried such a heavy bag in my life. We had lunch in the airport and spent our remaining Euros on chocolate...of course.
   The first flight was from Brussels to Amsterdam. It was less than an hour and went very smoothly. After an hour layover in Amsterdam we boarded the ten hour flight from Amsterdam to Atlanta. I ended up in the aisle seat of one side of the plane with an older couple beside me. Little did I know that I would soon become the couple's personal flight attendant. First the woman could not make the headphones stay in her ears so I fixed them and then put them on her ears for her. Then they couldn't get their personal screens to work so I used the remote to get the entertainment systems on the movie selection for them. They needed to use the bathroom several times which meant that I had to get out into the aisle and wait for them to crawl over all our seats. After the second bathroom trip, I could not figure our what was taking them so long to get back into their seats. I walked back up the aisle and found out that the man had lost his hearing aid. He had been looking for it but had no luck finding it. So of course here I go onto all fours crawling around on the airplane floor to find his hearing aid. I did find it and then helped him find his medicine too. We finally all got situated back into our seats. The ten hours passed quickly since I was occupied with the couple and my personal entertainment system. I watched all kinds of movies and television and before I knew it we had touched down in Atlanta.
   We were scheduled to have a two and a half hour layover in Atlanta. That would have been the perfect amount of time to go through customs and make it to our next flight. Instead our flight was delayed and we had a five hour layover in Atlanta. It was torture. We were so close yet so far away from home! Finally we got on the plane and had a thirty minute flight to Huntsville. We arrived at the Huntsville airport about one thirty in the morning and then drove on to Scottsboro.
   I spent Tuesday catching up on the sleep I missed the day before and trying to recover from my jet lag. Mom and I visited my Thebus grandparents and then we had dinner at my Westmoreland grandparents. I also go to see my sweet Aunt Mary, thanks for the blueberries, and my cousins. It was a great day! Today I have packed, visited a few more people, and even fit in an hour at the pool, another great day!
    Tomorrow I am moving to my very first house! I cannot wait to live with Meg, Caroline, and Anna. I've missed Meggers and Crill so much all summer. We are going to have a great time! Of course this is the hottest week in Auburn so far and we will be moving all kinds of stuff into the house. I just love the south Alabama heat. I cannot believe I will be starting my junior year of college this month. It seems like yesterday I was moving into my freshman dorm.
    Thanks for reading my blogs. I have really enjoyed being able to keep up with friends and family though them. Sorry for any typos or grammar mistakes. For the most part I was typing on a wireless fold-up keyboard onto my iPhone. Every time I told someone in Europe that I was from Alabama they would ask: Sweet Home Alabama? Apparently the song is a European favorite. Yes, Sweet Home Alabama I would say and then tell them they should come visit. I had the most amazing summer abroad. Seven weeks in Europe was the perfect amount of time. I enjoyed every minute of it but was also ready to come home. Coming home is even more fun when you know you are headed right back to the greatest place in this state...Auburn University! The number on thing I missed eating from the United States was cereal. I've already had several bowls of multigrain cheerios with fresh blueberries and cold skim milk. My it is great to be home!
      I could not have asked for a better travel partner. So glad I got to see the world with you, Anna Cragon, I see many more trips in our future. We have way more of the world to see! I proved to myself that I can do anything and go anywhere. Toto, I'm back in Alabama and so glad to see you! I will not however been here for long. Watch out world, I'm coming to find you. From the biggest cities to the smallest villages, I want meet the locals, enjoy the food, and immerse myself into the culture. This trip sparked my need to travel more than I could have ever imagined. I'm so thankful to be home safe and sound, but I am counting the days until I am jet set again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment